Thursday could be the anniversary that is one-year of “Junior” Guzman-Feliz’s death.
The gang-related killing of 15-year-old Lesandro Guzman-Feliz twelve months ago delivered shock waves through their Bronx community, as family and friends mourned the increasing loss of a “sweet kid” who had imagined to become a police detective.
The NYPD arrested 14 suspects, living up to its vow of leaving “no stone that are unturned the research in to the slaying of Guzman-Feliz, who had been affectionately called “Junior.”
On June 14, the five males accused of fatally stabbing the teenager had been discovered accountable of very very very first- and second-degree murder, conspiracy and gang attack. Eight other suspects, who will be accused of involved in the attack but didn’t stab Guzman-Feliz, are now being tried individually. One suspect pleaded accountable when you look at the instance and it is cooperating because of the prosecution.
NYPD Commissioner James O’Neill has credited the arrests into the public’s “unrivaled help” as well as an “outpouring of nonstop assistance” in case.
A mural of Lesandro “Junior” Guzman-Feliz on East 184th Street and Bathgate Avenue into the Bronx on July 3, 2018. Picture Credit: Marisol Diaz-Gordon
Continue reading for more information on Guzman-Feliz and also the aftermath of their death.
The assault on Guzman-Feliz ended up being evidently a full situation of mistaken identification
On June 20, 2018, surveillance movie captured a few guys dragging Guzman-Feliz away from a bodega on East 183rd Street into the Belmont part of the Bronx and over repeatedly stabbing him into the throat and the body with knives and a machete.
Following the suspects fled, Guzman-Feliz were able to run to nearby St. Barnabas Hospital, where he collapsed during the entrance and passed away. The town medical examiner’s workplace stated he passed away of a stab injury into the throat and ruled his death a homicide.
Police think the killing had been associated with intra-gang violence and that Guzman-Feliz had been erroneously targeted. The teenager had kept their household to offer some one $5 and encountered the suspects on their long ago house, NYPD officials said.
The suspects, thinking the teenager had been a member of the faction that is rival of gang, chased Guzman-Feliz in to the bodega after which dragged him out onto the sidewalk before stabbing and slashing him, based on authorities.
Guzman-Feliz’s death quickly caught the interest of high-ranking NYPD officials, including Chief of Department Terence Monahan, whom called it “among many brutal crimes he’d that is seen. Detectives vowed to root down everyone included and hold them accountable.
3 days following the slaying, the suspects that are first arrested. Associated with the 14 males who’re charged, five have now been convicted of fatally stabbing Guzman-Feliz. One other nine suspects are accused to be mixed up in life-threatening criminal activity find-your-bride.com/asian-brides legit.
Here you will find the 14 suspects while the fees against them:
- Manuel Rivera, regarding the Bronx: Guilty of very very first- and second-degree murder, conspiracy and gang assault.
- Antonio Rodriguez Hernandez Santiago, for the Bronx: Guilty of very first- and second-degree murder, conspiracy and gang attack.
- Elvin Garcia, of Manhattan: Guilty of very very first- and second-degree murder, conspiracy and gang attack.
- Jonaiki Martinez Estrella, of Freeport: Guilty of very very first- and second-degree murder, conspiracy and gang attack.
- Jose Muniz, for the Bronx: Guilty of very very very first- and murder that is second-degree conspiracy and gang attack.
- Diego Suero, associated with Bronx: faced with second-degree murder, manslaughter, gang assault, conspiracy and unlawful control of a tool.
- Frederick Then, of browsing, Pennsylvania: faced with second-degree murder, manslaughter, gang attack, conspiracy and unlawful control of the tool.
- Ronald Urena, of this Bronx: faced with second-degree murder, manslaughter, gang attack, conspiracy and possession that is criminal of tool.
- Luis A. Cabrera Santos, regarding the Bronx: faced with second-degree murder, manslaughter, conspiracy, gang attack and possession that is criminal of gun.
- Danilo Payamps Pacheco, associated with the Bronx: faced with second-degree murder, manslaughter, conspiracy, gang attack and criminal possession of the tool.
- Gabriel Ramirez Concepcion, associated with Bronx: faced with second-degree murder, manslaughter, conspiracy, gang attack and possession that is criminal of gun.
- Jose Taverez, of this Bronx: faced with second-degree murder, manslaughter, conspiracy, gang attack and possession that is criminal of weapon.
- Danel Fernandez, associated with Bronx: faced with second-degree murder, manslaughter, conspiracy, gang assault and unlawful possession of a tool.
- Kevin Alvarez, of this Bronx: faced with second-degree murder, manslaughter, conspiracy, gang assault and criminal control of the gun. He pleaded responsible and testified against five associated with the defendants that are main of fatally stabbing Guzman-Feliz.
The murder test
Guilty – that was the jury’s verdict up against the five guys whom delivered the deadly blows to Guzman-Feliz.
The test, which started may 6, stumbled on an in depth on 14 after less than two days of jury deliberations june. Jose Muniz, Elvin Garcia, Manuel Rivera, Antonio Rodriguez Hernandez Santiago and Jonaiki Martinez Estrella were discovered bad of very first- and murder that is second-degree conspiracy and gang attack.
The victim’s mother, Leandra Feliz, thanked God when it comes to bad verdicts. “My son had been a kid that is good. He had been just fifteen yrs . old. He had been doing the greatest into the educational school,” she said at a news meeting outside the Bronx Supreme Court building.
Throughout the very very first complete time for the test, Tamika Jones, 21, testified that she witnessed the assault from her apartment screen and shouted for Guzman-Feliz to perform towards the hospital that is nearby.
“By the full time we got downstairs, he had been currently while watching medical center, collapsed,” Jones said. “He had bloodstream all over their human anatomy. He had been wanting to remain alive, keeping his injury himself. Their words that are last water — he asked for water.”
Throughout the second week of testimony, Feliz started screaming “no, no, no” and crying hysterically until she had been escorted through the courtroom, according to published reports.
The incident apparently took place while Alvarez had been cross-examined by way of a protection lawyer. Feliz told Information 12 The Bronx that her blood circulation pressure rose whenever surveillance movie of her son was played that showed Alvarez grabbing at her son after having a counter was opened by a bodega worker home near where he had been hiding.
An ambulance had been called towards the courthouse but she had not been taken fully to a medical center, relating to published reports. She had been apparently expected to go out of the courtroom on another event for talking away during test testimony.
Guzman-Feliz’s daddy additionally apparently needed to keep the courtroom during a split event, after their son’s blood-soaked clothes had been presented as proof.
“I saw my son’s bloody T-shirt and we never would you like to view it once again,” Lisandro Guzman told reporters beyond your courthouse.
Suspected users of the Trinitarios gang
The suspects are purported people in the Los Sures collection of the Trinitarios road gang, based on the NYPD.
From the nights Guzman-Feliz’s death, the team collected at Suero’s Boston path home and planned to strike another collection of Trinitarios, called Sunset, authorities said. Suero may be the suspected frontrunner of Los Sures, relating to Bronx District Attorney Darcel Clark.
The suspects piled into four vehicles and drove into the territory associated with competing gang, come upon Guzman-Feliz and chased him to the bodega, Clark stated.
After the stabbing, the suspects went back again to Suero’s house to disguise their weapons which help Garcia, whoever hand ended up being cut through the assault, in accordance with Clark.
The region lawyer also dispelled past posted reports that stated Guzman-Feliz was erroneously targeted as a result of a intercourse tape with a woman related to among the suspects.
“As far even as we understand, at the moment, there was clearly no reference to any intercourse tape for this specific situation,” Clark stated. “That had been stated on social media but which has had maybe perhaps not been the info that people have actually inside our instance.”
Shea has said the Trinitarios were proven to the division before Guzman-Feliz’s death. Ever since then, police have actually arrested at the least 79 purported Trinitarios members throughout the town, mostly on felony costs, relating to Shea.
“This ended up being one case that is significant Trinitarios, but we’re planning to continue steadily to target maybe perhaps not just the Trinitarios but any road gang this is certainly tangled up in physical physical physical violence in new york,” Shea included.
The NYPD connection
Before their death, Guzman-Feliz had aspired to be a authorities detective and ended up being an associate regarding the NYPD’s Explorers system, a company that aims to show teenagers and young adults the significance of respect, self-discipline and furthering their training through training and community service jobs.
The NYPD together with Police Foundation have actually put up a scholarship honoring Guzman-Feliz. The Lesandro Guzman-Feliz Memorial university Fund will give you two $5,000 scholarships each 12 months to people in the Explorers system to be utilized toward tuition and college materials upon enrollment in a certified university.